In the video Q&A below, Drs Paul Eddy and Greg Boyd (Woodland Hills Church) answer the question, “Can you speak to scripture that implies some are chosen to be saved and some are not chosen?” with a helpful explanation of the corporate view.
Another author/professor, Dr Matthew Bates, recently said in an interview with Dr Bird, “corporate-but-not-individual election in Paul is rapidly becoming the standard view among biblical scholars.” For more academic reading on the subject, he recommends:
- A. Chadwick Thornhill, The Chosen People;
- N. T. Wright, Paul and the Faithfulness of God;
- Brian J. Abasciano, Paul’s Use of the Old Testament in Romans 9.10-18; and “Corporate Election in Romans 9: A Reply to Thomas Schreiner,” JETS 49 (2006)
I would also recommend Dr Abasciano’s follow up article, “Clearing Up Misconceptions about Corporate Election“, as well as Dr William Klein’s excellent book (which was my first real introduction to the corporate view), The New Chosen People, Revised and Expanded Edition: A Corporate View of Election. There are more resources here.
More from Greg Boyd on election/predestination:
- “Predestination: What Does It Mean?“, and “Predestination Part 2: Seeing Destiny Rightly“;
- “How do you Respond to Romans 9?“